dormant Milano

In a message dated 8/15/2002 4:57:07 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Hi All,
> I was wondering if any of you might have a possible answer to fix my '89
> Milano Gold. About a week ago I went to a friends house and it drove
> great until I decided to go home about a half hour later and it would not
> run. It started and ran really rough (about 300 rpm's) for about 15
> seconds and it did not make any difference how much gas I gave it. It was
> as if it ran out of gas. After poking around I determined it does have
> spark but it is not getting any fuel. I checked the voltage at the fuel
> pump and there was none. Next I checked all the fuses and their all fine.
> I looked over the repair manual and I don't see any relay's for the pump.
> Am I missing something here? The only thing I can come up with is that
> the air flow meter regulates the pump. Is this the source of my problem
> or am I overlooking something?

2 thoughts:

First, there is a square relay on the firewall, passengers side, that
controls the fuel pump (and other functions I think).  The connections to
this sometimes get corroded and clean them up can fix the problem.  BUT these
seem to last about 75K miles, so if you are in that range since it was last
replaced, you could be due for a new one.

Next, there is a connection for the Water temp sensor on the plumbing behind
the radiator (toward cockpit).  This is at about 4 o'clock.  Try cleaning up
the spade connector and making sure there is good continuity there.  This can
be a problem when the car as you describe) is hot; I think it will not affect
the start and run when the car is cold.  If you left it overnight and it
started and ran as normal the next day, this could be it!  I suppose it's
also possible the sensor itself (which feeds info to the computer about the
water temp) can be defunct, but I would first suspect the connection (thanks
a top o' the hat to Fred di who helped us with a similar situation on our
former 75 and was 100% right the very first time, over 3000 miles from the
patient).

Best luck!

Charlie
LA, CA, USA