New word?

For those who are unfamiliar with Charles Dickens, penurious might well be a
new word.  However, all vocabulary jibes aside, now I know why I was drawn
into the Alfa Romeo universe.  As a member of the sailing community, I have
long been accustomed to being accused by power boaters as "too cheap to buy
gas," or diesel as the case may be.  Sailors also do much more of their own
work, being wise to the "marine is special so must cost more for mechanical
work" mantra.  Part prices alone are astronomical if the magic word "marine
use" is involved.  Alfa owners are equally wise to the game, and leagues
ahead of the average car owner when it comes to knowing their cars and how
they work; at least the ones on the digest, to counteract the psychographic
opinion of one web site recently mentioned.  Sure, you can call us
"tightfisted," but a more accurate description might be knowledgeable,
shrewd, intelligent, performance loving fools who know that the golden age of
driving is over, and try to squeeze what is left of it while there is still a
chance.  Please excuse me while I get off my soapbox and get another glass of
Brunello.
Brian Ancelin (if your right brain isn't involved, you're not really having
fun)