Spider console assembly tricks?

Does anybody have any tricks for assembling a 70's
spider console?  I've been fighting mine for 9 years
now, and have never found a good way to get it all
together so it looks nice, and doesn't interfere with
the shifter.

When I first bought the car, the console was held to
the dash with M6 machine screws, with nuts behind it.
You'd have to reach in behind the console to assemble
it.  Not easy.

I replaced those screws with trim screws and speed
nuts, but I could never get the console to line up
with the dash properly.  If the console is flush with
the dash, I can't get the shifter in reverse fully and
it will pop out of reverse on the slightest hill.  Not
fun in San Fran!

So, does anybody have a secret trick?  Or even know
how it's supposed to go together from the factory?
You'll be my new personal hero.

Thanks!
Ian
2