Bonneville 2002 - 8/12/02

Bonnie spent all of Sunday morning in the pits with Eric Storhok and Jim
Steck attempting to eliminate the gremlins from the data aquisition system so
the we could record an entire run.  The crude tinfoil-wrapped wire was
replaced with CAT-5 shielded cable, which significantly reduced the
interference from the ignition system but it took them almost an hour to
figure out the gasoline-powered generator charging the car batteries was
creating enough "noise" in the electronics to cause the computers to go
haywire.  (I love engineers.)

After the better part of the day was spent in the pits and the onboard
computers were checked and deemed reliable, Bonnie was pushed to the start
line of the Long Course for her third run of the meet.  Mike Besic noticed
boost dropped off significantly in third gear and was almost tempted to abort
the run when boost suddenly shot up to 20 psi in 4th.  His terminal speed in
the measured mile was 195.615 mph, just a fuzz faster than his best time last
year.  Mike also noted that the car was once again covering three lanes of
traffic.  Could it have been from the chin spoiler or the rear spring spacers
we removed just prior to the run, at the engineer's insistence?  "Too much
drag," he says.  Hmmmm.... (Did I mention I love engineers?)

On Monday, the decision was made to replace the 24" rear tires with a pair of
25" diameter tires, the idea being that it would allow us to keep the engine
in its peak power band in 4th gear AND adding a bit of a rake to the attitude
of the car.  We had determined the F1 strakes in the rear of the car were
working SO well that they were sucking the rear down and in turn lifting the
front, causing the instability.  The 1/2" lift turned out to be all we needed
as Mike reported that Bonnie ran straight as an arrow... and FAST too .
Check this out:

More tomorrow..... time for some serious celebrating!

Darren Besic
Bonneville LSR Team