Supercharger on Alfa fours

This topic keeps coming up, I resisted jumping in right away as there
was a similar tread on the topic not too long ago.

As the owner of a supercharged 2 liter Alfa
(http://photos.yahoo.com/atuncay62) albeit it is not a TS, I can state
that if done right it is a very satisfying device.  As Eric Storhok
pointed out, the following are required:
- blower of choice, various pulleys, and mounting bracketry (I have an
Eaton unit)
- lower compression ratio (mine is about 8.5:1)
- lower numerical ratio diff (way too easy to spin the tires and bounce
off the rev-limiter)
- aftermarket programmable electronic ignition and fuel injection (need
a lot of tweaking of the variables on a dyno)
- intercooling (tried to do without but much better with it - I use an
air-to-air unit from a German donor with the engine in the wrong end)
- better seat belts than stock

The high pitched sound of the supercharger requires some form of
suppression.  I'm using an intake silencer made out of an aluminum
exhaust canister from my Ducati.  The body of the blower also needs an
enclosure if you don't want to be a public menace.

As someone else pointed out, a Supercharger is indeed an aesthetic
decision, beats a turbo any day for under the hood appeal.
-ahmet