Double clutching - should I?

I was just re-reading Pat Braden's Alfa Romeo Bible and he says you
should double clutch when downshifting.  I own a '86 GTV6 with very good
synchros and I was wondering if I'm doing the car a disservice by not
double clutching.

Also, Braden mentions that the Alfetta driveline rubber donuts were
vulnerable to failure and should be inspected or replaced with each oil
change.  Does this hold true with the later GTV6s or was the problem
resolved?