Re: She cannah take tha' mooch pawr-r-r, Cahptain!

On Mon, 5 Aug 2002 21:27:04 -0700 Tony Sims <simstony@domain.elided> wrote:
> Again, since the original
> configuration did not provide fuses for the high- or low-beam circuits, I
> added a 20 amp fuse to each circuit upstream of the relays....
> The answer would seem to be that I have far too much wattage
> (75+75+100+100 =
> 350) running through my high-beam circuit for a 20 amp fuse.  Not being
> of the
> electrical-engineer persuasion, what I do not know is what to do next.

well, the basic calculation isn't that hard.

P = IE

P (power) is 350 watts
E (voltage) is 12 volts

350 = 12 I

I (current)  = 29.167 amps

so your fuse is O(10 amps) too small.

where my experience falls short is i'm not sure how much current you can
safely draw through 12 gauge wire, but i'd think it can take 30 amps. any
EE types who can answer that?

richard