Re: Ice, Ice, Ice, Baby: Milano AC retrofit

I was hanging my head in shame today when I drove to work... The AC wasn't working. When I got home I realized the compressor wasn't engaging. Happily I quickly diagnosed a loose fuse holder on the AC clutch relay, a little tweaking and I was back in business.

My eagerly awaited response follows:

First, I'm guessing Mark went simply on the old bubbles in the sight
glass method as he pretty well points out.
Yes and no. I first calculated how much ES-12a I'd need to fill the system, based on the shop manual which states the AC capacity at 1.98lbs (or just about 32oz.) Convienently this works out to just a bit less than 2 cans of ES-12a. As I was adding the last of the second can I saw the bubbles go away. It's pretty clear when it happens.

In my case, I'll be going from a totally empty AC system on my Alfetta
GT. I've had the lines to the dryer just dangling there for about five
years since I've kept the rubber plugs on the 'new' (unused) dryer
itself. Therefore, I'm very concerned about 'purging' the system first
before adding refrigerant.
The recommended procedure is to pull a vacuum on the system to check for leaks, to remove any water present in the system (and anything else for that matter. My system had still had R-12 in it, which I had removed.

Mark, I'm a little vague on the removal of the existing 'valve core'. Is
it on the compressor or the adapter / filling unit? And if you remove
the valve core, what do you put in it's place? Basically I'd like to
have everything in front of me when I start.
The R-12 fittings use a schraeder style port/valve (just like a car tire.) The little nipple thing in the middle is the tip of the valve core. They make a cheap little tool for unscrewing valve cores. You need to emove the one from your existing low pressure R-12 fitting, because the LP R-134a adapter fitting has it's own valve core.

I also removed and saved (most) of the oil in the compressor. What was
saved measures 55 ml. How do I know how much oil to add? I'm assuming it
comes in pressurized cans. How many oz. is 55 ml?
I have no idea how much oil you need.   But 55ml is 1.86oz

I've been told the 'new improved' R-134a will work in older units
without having to change seals, hoses, etc. While I've not checked it
out, gather it is easily available. Should one not use it because it
actually does harm seals, etc. or because it really doesn't cool all
that well, or is it in fact almost as good as ES-12a and will work fine?
I think it's not that R-134a harms seals, it's just that it leaks really easily. I think R-134a kits now include goo to help seal the system from the inside. Factory and high quality retrofits use special barrier hoses and special seals to combat leakage.

I believe it's a thermodynamic fact that HC based refrigerants are superior to R-134a (sorry I don't have a good reference for this, but have seen it quoted in many different sources.)

--Mark