all-thread thread

Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2002 21:55:02 -0400
From: Livio <>
Subject: Re: Spring ka-booiiiiinnnng
What exactly is the "all-thread" method?
Livio Passera
Toronto, Canada

> Don't mess with them; be very careful. Not to disagree with a fellow AROO
> member, especially one I like, but I think the all-thread method is much
> safer than trusting a jack.

It means cutting hardware store stock 3/8" threaded rods to about 6" length, and using them with nuts and washers, one at a time, to replace the stock bolts on the front spring pans. When you have replaced all four of the stock bolts with all-thread, back them off incrementally until you have reached the end of the spring's travel and it can be safely removed. I have used wing nuts instead of hex nuts, to speed the process a little, since there's usually too much threaded rod protruding through the nut for even a deep socket to reach. A Gear Wrench in the right size would be nice, if one had them in inches and wing nuts were not available.

The all-thread is very mild steel, and stretches, and I replace them after I've used them a couple of times.

And Tony, if you need a hand give me a call! I'll be there. Old Navy divers just love lying in the rainy gutter. Oh yeah, hoo yah. But I might need a hand up! I'm not particular about the number of fingers.

Cheers,
Joe