re: Spring ka-booiiiiinnnng

The esteemed Mr. Cantrell writes:

>Don't mess with them; be very careful.  Not to disagree with a fellow AROO
>member, especially one I like, but I think the all-thread method is much
>safer than trusting a jack.

Oh sure, when the sun is out everyone wants to help -- but it was a different
story in cold, grey February!

I'm not arguing against safety or discounting anyone's advice, and I'll admit
to a weakness for shortcuts that often result in more work, less fingers and
other collateral damage.  Still -- once the springs were seated against the
top mount, I only had to compress them about 2 inches to get the bottom pan to
meet the lower arms.  Didn't seem like much could go wrong, even if something
slipped.  The real challenge was that the car lifted off the jackstands once I
got up about 1 1/2 inches...  Probably would have not been a problem had the
engine been in the car, but these springs are a bit stiff.  I haven't seen a
stock spring to know how much they must be compressed, they may be much
longer.

I promise if anyone ever does end up on my garage floor in February helping me
wrestle heavy, greasy Alfa parts, they're free to step outside if they see me
starting anything that might void their health insurance...

Tony (typing with his 3 good fingers)
Portland, OR
70 2800 CS