spherical bearings in SCCA IT suspensions

Richard,
     Perhaps we should take this over to the Alfa Racing list, but it has been my understanding of the rules that Heim joints are virtually free in the rear suspension of an IT car.  I have read the rules many times, both as a Scrutineer and as a competitor.  Amazing the way your reading of the rules changes when you change from a tech hat to a helmet!
     Anyway, in my ITB spider, the upper T Bar or Trunion will be replaced with Heim jointed upper links.  I read the rules to allow traction bars and other axle locating devices to be free.  You cannot replace A Arms, but you can replace traction bars.  Therefore, I define the Trunnion as not an A Arm, but an axle locating link.  I do not have the exact wording with me, but that is the gist of it.
     I further understand that you cannot use Heim joints in the front suspension if that requires modification of the existing suspension components.  That is, you cannot drill and tap your solid lower A arms to use Heim Joints.  In fact, with the torsion bars locating in the lower arms, I am not sure how you would do that anyway.  I guess if a Heim joint would just thread into the upper caster mount at the front you could use one there.  And IT rules do allow existing rubber bushings to be replaced with solid material.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City