Cleaning Oil Separators

The Alfa Owners Bible suggests regular cleaning of the oil separator on the 2L engine but doesn't offer any suggestions for cleaning. What is the accepted method and cleaner used or what has been determined to be effective for cleaning?

Dann D

Hmmm.. looks like I've missed a few Digest Droppings in my mailbox..

Don't know if there's an "official" method, but I just did one, using about 1/4 can of some spray and rinse
engine cleaning solvent.. LOTS of crud came out.. the trick seems to be spray in a lot, shake and swirl around, drain..
Spray in all three holes, and pour from all three.. a minor problem was the little port (idle air) getting clogged with
rust/crud flakes.. I poked a wire in as needed, or blasted more cleaning solvent.. You'll want to be somewhere where you can generate a lot of nasty grunge and not worry..
Did that till I stopped getting very dark and sludgy results... then blasted it out with water till the same.. I cleaned the drain to crankcase hose at the same time.. Put it in the sun for an hour or two to dry it well, and back on the car.
Jon

77 Spider (still in legal limbo, still smokin' and drinkin' too much)