SAAB 9000 platform

Hi

>After the project was well underway, FIAT decided to create an Alfa Romeo
>model also. Pininfarina was commissioned to do the body on the ItalDesign
>platform with the result that the doors are different for the Alfa, and
>the roofline and overall length are lower and shorter respectively. The
>Alfa also ended up heavier than the other three.

Alfa were independant of Fiat when the 164 was designed. Fiat delayed the
introduction of the 164 by a few months to sort out a few items when they
bought Alfa but the car was really complete before Fiat came along.

>FIAT used fours in their Croma. I don't know if they had a six.

Fiat used a V6 version, as did Lancia. When Fiat took Alfa over the
Lancias got a rebadged Alfa V6 in there car

>>Lancia used a detuned Ferrari V8 in their Thema, and it is by far the
>quickest version.

Not true, V8 was not that quick. It is heavy, and not THAT powerful (only
215hp), and realistically the turbocharged Lancia 4's were faster.

>For their 164 model, Alfa used a turbo V6 in 2.0 litre size, a 3.0 litre
>V6 in 12 and 24 valve versions and a twin spark four which is the best
>handling of the bunch.

There were also turbo diesel versions, and at one time a turbocharged
inline 4 (using the Fiat / Lancia twin cam)

All the best

Keith