Re: H4 e-code headlamps for 164

I'm fairly certain that all the lights on http://www.talbotco.com are all made by Cibie. But that doesn't necessarily mean that they were the OEM when the 164 was being produced. FWIW, Elma made the USA lights for the Milano, while European models had Bosch or Carello units. In my opinion, proper lighting is always worth the hassle, if you can afford the $$$. I would think that putting Euro lights on a 164 would not be too difficult. Any connectors you would need to hook up the running lights are available at Wal-Mart, and if the connectors for the H4 bulbs aren't available at your local auto parts place (they're the same as high/low American sealed beams), http://www.talbotco.com sells them for a rather pricey $10. Screw DOT nipples, even a poorly aimed Euro light will provide better lighting and less glare than a perfectly aimed USA light. But if for whatever reason you don't drive in the dark, it's probably not worth it.

At 4:15 PM +0000 7/26/02, alfa-digest wrote:

Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 10:59:15 -0400
From: <maxid@domain.elided>
Subject: Re: H4 e-code headlamps for 164

Steven Immel wrote: "Does anyone have suggestions for a vendor for H4 e-code
headlamps for a
'91 164, either in the states or in Europe? I'm looking for the original
"full" style lamps made by Valeo (not the narrower Bosch types)".

I believe some of those lamps were known as "Elma". Wheter Elma is a
subsidiary of Valeo or vice versa, or whether they are different suppliers, I
am not sure.

I have vaguely considered getting these lights too but come to the conclusion
that unless one needs to get these lamps for driving in Europe, it may not be
worth the hassle. You will need to modify the car's electrical harness. The
terminal you need is probably not available in the US but must be gotten from
a European junkyard. The surrounding covers may or may not fit. The European
lights may or may not go well with the US corner lights (combined parking
lights/turn signals as opposed to the European ones that are turn signals
only). They don't have the three nipples for the SAE/DOT aiming procedure. On
the other hand, you may get a better bulb that is located more precisely
relative to the focal point of the reflector. But how often does one drive on
poorly lit roads in the US?

If you decide to get the European lights, please let us know how the
installation went, and how the result is.

Sonny 91 164S, Baltimore