Wire tracing idea

Hi all..

Been reading about the various wire harness topics about, and it got me thinking on how to trace things
out.. and an idea came up.

Anyone ever try the little gismo that the phone linemen use to find the wire in a huge bundle? It's an electronic
noismaker you hook to the wire in question, and a "sniffer" reciever that will hear the tone, but only a few mm
away.. you poke around till you find the wire with the tone.

I don't know if the noise will stay local to the wire, or get into the car chassis and appear everywhere, making
it useless. I don't have one, but might try building one, especially if it needs a bit of modification from the phone
type for auto use..

Anybody who have access to one of these care to try it out and tell us how it works?

Jon

77 Spider (in limbo)