(Not Quite) Free Berlina

Hey, gang -

I have been informed that, owing to our continuing (increasing, even)
impecuniosity, I don't get to have three cars to play with, even if they are all
paid for...and since papa-in-law saw fit to endow me with his rather nice
Citroen, and since the Milano belongs to Tania and she's not about to give it up,
that leaves Fernando the Berlina in need of a new home.

Now, you may have heard me speak less than flatteringly about the Berlina, and
there really isn't much to recommend it as anyone's Automotive Treasure. All the
sheet metal forward of the firewall is ripe for replacement, as it was at some
point obviously hit good and hard, straightened out not too awfully well, and
then given the godawfulest Bondo job I've ever seen...and the paint is even
worse. The interior is likewise a real mess. Against that is the fact that the
rest of the body, under all that red Krylon, is wonderfully straight and
unrusted, and while it lacks the perfect suspension and hell-for-strong engine I
remember from my first one it drives pretty well and has more poo than you'd
think. It's dead-nuts reliable, has good oil pressure, doesn't overheat, and I'm
gonna miss being able to put a whole lot of just anything in the trunk without
running out of room or worrying about messing up the finish. In other words, it's
the perfect beater, fishin' car, gophermobile, whatever you want to call it.

I paid $1200 for it, or about twice what it was worth, and then dropped in
another $700 or so on wheel bearings, a Spica pump, JC Whitney retracting seat
belts, wheels, tires, clutch MC etc. CA registration is current until October,
and since it's a '72 (2-liter) it requires no smog testing. First $600 in my
clammy little paw gets the title. Pictures forwarded on request.

Will Owen
Pasadena, CA