Oil change intervals

My 91L has had oil changes rigorously done according to factory spec of once per year or 16,000 km, whichever first occurs. The engine uses about a litre every 3,000 km in summer and 5,000 km in winter. I use full synthetic Selenia 10W 40 or Agip 5W 50 and a new filter of course.

Extended oil change intervals are now the norm due to cleaner burning engines and better oils and filters. Time is significant as the contamination of oil by condensates is by far the more serious problem due to short trip insufficient warm up. In Canada, we know all about mayonnaise in the oil due to condensation, not coolant leaks!

Michael Smith
Calgary, Alberta,Canada
91 Alfa 164L