Cylinder Liner Honing

I personnally had a very good experience of honing the liners of my '72
Berlina several years ago.  I honed the liners in the car with both the head
and the sump removed. Stuffed rags down in the cylinder bores to protect the
crank from falliong abasive then washed the bores out good.  The Engine had
about 70k on it then.
I cleaned the pistons very well in parts cleaner for a few days, installed new
Deves rings, and honed the liners until there was ne perceivable ridge.  The
pistons were also knurled.  I was only looking for maybe ten thousand miles of
additional service life while a second new engine was readied.  The shop who
added the knurling said I could expect 40 or 50k.
Many of you know, racing engines are fitted with loose pistons and other fits
in the  engine. A lot of oil pressure is used to fill the large clearanceas.
Thats' kinda what I had.
That Berlina would go like stink!  Put it up on three wheels at the SCCA Time
trials. Used to love to blow 2002s and 914s on the local highway out of town.
That ugly car was a far better car that my Euroconverted spider. A good
sleeper.
It died a tragic death when some old woman dorve her Bick into the driver side
and bent it in half.  Lexington, Ky.