Re; 164 Clutch Judder

Assuming you engine mounts are OK, especially the dogbone one, here goes:-

You probably don't want to hear this but when my 91 164 clutch started shuddering at 100k miles the fault turned out to be failure of the springs in the center of the clutch plate. In effect they had taken a set and were loose in their pockets. Since these springs act during the clutch take up to soften the loads, if they are loose, they will not work properly. I assumed mine suffered from heat fatigue. The linings were fine (a tribute to my wife's driving).

I have a annoying shudder when I let out the clutch on my 91 164. It can be minimized with by feathering the clutch a bit but it is not as it should be. When I replaced the clutch about 8 months ago, all seemed OK. Shudder seemed to start after the clutch r/r but not right after. (Flywheel seem ok from visual and finger inspection.) Anyone with a similar experience and/or solution.

Bruce Murray