2002 vs. GTV

BKarbocus@domain.elided said:

"Anybody read the extensive article in the new September issue? They felt the 2002 was a more solid car."

Ummm...define "solid."

Structurally rigid? Yes, especially if there's no sunroof (which makes a surprisingly noticeable amount of difference).  The 1600/2002 hull was a simpler, more straightforward design than Giugiaro's GT body, with the prime parameters being sturdiness and production economy, not
style. The suspension loads are also fed into the structure over much wider bases in the BMW, which makes their resolution easier.

Mechanically sturdy? Not really. Our last 2002 engine needed a top-end rebuild at 87K miles, and our mechanic told us this was typical, as the valvetrain lubrication is marginal. There was also sufficient wear throughout the rest of the engine to warrant a total rebuild while we
were at it. You pretty much have to neglect an Alfa engine to get those results. As for the rest of the car, well, the 2002 was built as an economy sedan, and that is everywhere apparent...except when it comes to buying parts. Alfa parts are in my experience a good bit cheaper.

Driving? Forget it. The 2002 is very nice to drive - maybe nicer than the GTV - at low speeds, and not bad on the highway. But throwing a stock one into a bend, or series of bends, at any serious speed will give the BMW novice a sudden case of the puckers. The cheerful good manners
go away, the car suddenly becomes unsure and indecisive, and while you'll probably stay out of the ditch you'll certainly not want to do much more of that. Yes, a 2002 can be MADE to handle very well indeed, but in out-of-the-box trim any Alfa is hugely superior.

As a gettin'-around-town car for no more than two people, the 2002 is just about unbeatable, and I wouldn't mind having another...but I certainly wouldn't get rid of any Alfas to get one.

Will Owen
Pasadena, CA