Verde Rattle Diagnosed - Crank Advice Needed

Hi all,

I've got my Verde motor stripped down, so now I finally know the cause of
the rattle.  Looks like a spun bearing, the rod bearing on #6 bought it good
- there isn't much of it left!  I was easily able to rattle the rod on the
crank by hand =80.

The worst finding was that the #6 rod journal is rather beat up.  There is
still evidence of the shiny machined surface in a few places, but I'm not
sure how deep the scratches are.  The rod and cap surfaces are similarly
damaged.  All the other rod and main bearings look very clean, although I
will need to replace all the bearings (since they contain metal dust).

Now on to the part where I need advice.  Can I have the rod journal ground
down and install undersize bearings?  The shop manual says no, citing the
nitriding treatment, and says the crank must be replaced.  I'm hoping this
is only the official line and that a skilled shop can do it.  If not, does
anyone have any leads on where I can find a new or good used crank?  A motor
with a stripped timing belt and subsequent fatal top-end damage could supply
a good donor crank.

Thanks,

Dave J.
Island Lake, IL