Door mount speakers and Not

My '72 Spider came with door mounted 6x9" speakers, along with the 6x9" ones in the back bulkhead which not only let trunk fumes thru, but are thoroughly muffled by the top when it is down, i.e., when I'm driving the car. The bulkhead ones left long ago, as documented in "Odd Was My Copilot," on the AROO site.

In order to mount in the door at all, the speakers must be very shallow, but though mine were the thinnest available, they required 3/4" spacers which put them obnoxiously into ones kidneys. So, when we painted the car last year, the speakers went away along with the spacers. I reinstalled the speaker grilles which provide quick access to the door mechanism---lubricating window regulators is much more fun than replacing them---and will cut and upholster aluminum panels one of these days to make them a little prettier. Meanwhile, the Miata seats in the Spider have two speakers in each headrest if I ever get around to hooking them up. With my exhaust note, the only potential use for the radio is traffic alerts, and they're always wrong.

MyM,isFractal
Joe