HELP! Dilemma evolves into emergency

Well, thanks to my annoying little brother walking into the garage at exactly the wrong moment to ask some assinine computer question, I've realized my worst nightmare, and dropped a nut into the engine (I think). I suppose it's not impossible that's it's stuck around the steering box or the front giubo somewhere, but I'm pretty sure it's down the back of the driver's side head. What I need now is a V6 expert to tell me what I have to do to retrieve a nut (one of the ones from the cam bearings) that has fallen down the groove that runs along the back of the left-side head. Can I just drop the lower oil pan? Will one of those magnetic picker-upper things get it, or might it have rolled somewhere?

Thanks...
Joe