  From: AlfaNeely@domain.elided
  To: johnp@domain.elided ; r-mrand@domain.elided
  Sent: Sunday, July 14, 2002 7:15 PM
  Subject: Re: alfa-digest V8 #894 - Auto racing helmets

       I am home from Convention and trying to catch up on a few Alfa Digests.
I saw these postings on Helmets and have a comment.

        DOT-2000 is not a Snell rating.
        The helmet on the URL listed has a rating of DOT-218 (what ever that
means) and Snell M-95.  Snell Ratings for our purposes are either M for
Motorcycle or SA for Special Applications followed by a number like 90, 95 or
2000.  The number indicates the year of the Snell standard, which are issued
every five years.  SA helmets are required by most racing organizations.  M
rated helmets are OK for autocross.

        I bought my SA-2000 Bell helmet for SCCA road racing from Racer's
Wholesale: http://www.racerwholesale.com/  I have no financial connections
with them, yada, yada...

  Ciao,
  Russ Neely