(no subject)

Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2002 08:04:28 +0100
From: "Tim Hancock" <timhancock@domain.elided>
Subject: RE: Valve Stem Seals Installation

Joe

From the Haynes manual for my wifes's old Skoda.....I know its not an Alfa,
but its very good for generic advice..

.." If available fit the clear plastic caps over the valve stem to avoid
damaging the seal lip of the new valve stem seal as it passes over the valve
stem. (Skoda supply these useful items, but I don't think Alfa do...sigh) Dip
the new valve stem seal in fresh engine oil and then carefully locate it over
the valve and onto the guide. Take care not to damage the seal as it passes
over the stem. Use a suitable socket or metal tube to  press the seal firmly
onto the guide. Where fitted remove the clear plastic stem seal protector."

Then it goes on to give other advice on reassembly...like use a little grease
to hold the spring collets in place in the recesses on the valve stem (useful
I think). then when all the valves are reinstalled it says. "Place the
cylinder head flat on the bench and, using a hammer and interposed block of
wood, tap the end of each valve stem to settle the components.

HTH

Tim Hancock   Boston UK

P.S. Just heard I'm going 18th Century sailing again for a week on the
replica
of Captain Cooks ship 'Endeavour'. Yippee!

Let us know when you arrive in the "Sandwich Islands" !