164 wipers

Hi folks:

The wipers on my 93 164L have gone sporadic on me.  They usually - but not
always - come on when I need them, but if I move the switch from
Intermittent to Full-Time/Slow (or even /Fast) or back they often decide to
stop working altogether.  Moving the switch backwards and forwards through
all positions doesn't help; they usually decide to come back to life at some
random interval (a minute or two) after they stopped working.

According to the CarDisk there isn't a relay in the wiper circuit, only a
fuse which serves other accessories as well and is fine.  The wiring
connector to the wiper motor looks fine, and seems to be securely plugged
in, though it's a bit hard to get to to make absolutely sure.  So I suspect
the switch.  (Well, it's more comforting to suspect that than the motor,
since it's easier to get to.)

However, our local dealer (Ferrari of Seattle) doesn't have a spare switch
in stock and will have to check on how much labor it takes to replace, which
tells me that they very seldom come across this.  They're usually very well
stocked and very familiar with all kinds of 164 issues.

Has anyone else come across this behavior?  Am I overlooking something
obvious?  Is there an in-line wiring connector somewhere in the steering
column shroud (or lower) that might be working loose?

It's gloriously sunny in Seattle just at the moment, but you KNOW I'm going
to need those wipers again any minute.

TIA

Jon
Edmonds, WA