Safety in the Garage

Tess

Sorry to hear about your brake fluid conflagration. As a Safety
Professional with 17 years experience in Industrial Safety, and
Corporate Loss Control I have a couple of recommendations.

Am I trained in what I am doing? I'm not saying you need SAE
certification to do this, but especially when doing something new
that may involve any hazardous materials, or place you in a
hazardous situation, do you know what to expect? Preparation and
prevention goes a long way.

Do I have the right equipment and is it in good shape? Inspect all
your tools before you use them.

Clothing/Personal Protective Equipment? Goggles, Face Shields,
Gloves, close fitting long sleaved clothes and hearing protection.

Look at your work area.

Is there plenty of room to move around? Do you have a second exit
incase a fire or spill blocks you main way out?

Are there any Sources of Ignition? Fired water heaters, boilers
and furnaces take combustion air six inches off the ground. That
is where flammable vapors which are heavier than air will collect
in case of a fuel or other combustible liquid spill.

Ventillation. In cold weather, some people are tempted to run cars
with the garage door closed. Carbon Monoxide is odorless and a
killer. Not just to those in the garage, but to anyone in an
adjoining residence.

Emergency Equipment. Fire Extinguisher and telephone. Not
necesarily in that order. Even if you put out a fire with a fire
extinguisher, call the fire deprtment. They'll make sure you did
the job right. If you use the fire extinguisher, no more work in
the garage untill you get a new one.

Other equipment such as First Aid Kits, absorbants, acid
neutralizes etc. are a good idea.

Am I alone? Not usually a good idea. If possible, have someone
check in on you. This is very imporant when working underneath a
car.

Are there children/pets/civilians present? Unless the children are
under direct supervision (A great bonding experience) a working
garage is not a good place for them. The same goes for pets, Guide
Dogs excluded ;-).

Am I sober? Don't laugh. Many home and industrial accidents are
the result of mixing power tools and alcohol. Rule of thumb. If
you should drive, you shouldn't be working with tools. Save the
beer for when you watch Nascar on TV.

I've probably missed a bunch of stuff.