oxygen sensor short to ground

So I finally discovered last week why my oxygen sensor doesn't seem to work properly--the wire that runs from it to the ECU is somehow shorted to ground. I decided to explore further last night and this is what I found:
Here's what I found:
The short is present with the ECU hooked up, and the car on or off.
The short is not present with the ECU removed.
The short is present with either of two ECUs that I have.

All I can figure is that the oxygen sensor wire is shorted to another wire that gets grounded through the ECU.

What should I do? Tear into the harness and start looking for naked wires? Is there any other logical explanation??

Thanks,
Joe Elliott
'82 GTV6
'73 Opel GT (when I get frustrated with EFI problems, I just look at that Weber and scratch my head...and go back to my EFI)