one more thing about helmets

I'd like to add one more vote for buying a new helmet.

The only time I'd ever buy a used helmet is if I knew the person I was
buying it from, and knew their driving style and history. Because even if
the surface appears intact, you won't know what it's been through just by
looking at it.

By my thinking, one good "whack" and the helmet is no longer useful. I
want it to be perfectly intact should I ever need it, and I hope I never
do.

That said, I'm thinking I should downgrade my own track helmet to a
karting helmet and buy a new track helmet. I like to kart in my track
helmet, but I've found that during karting, my head gets pummelled
tremendously. That can't be good for the helmet's integrity!

Tess
p.s. - So far nobody has mentioned the advantage of a Kevlar helmet over
fiberglass. If you can afford it, I'd highly recommend it. Unless you've
got the neck of a gorilla (and a brain to match), and especially
if you wear a full-face helmet, you'll really appreciate Kevlar's lighter
weight by the end of a track day.