Re: 74 Alfa Spider Questionable Hose and Gasoline Odor

If the odour is gas I doubt the tail pipe will
have any effect. ;-)  If you mean exhaust fumes
then the downward tail pipe is actually the
better configuration to use to evacuate the
fumes away from the Spider.  Check for
any exhaust leaks throughout the whole
system as a start.  The factory sent out
a notice in 1977, that someone
posted here on the Digest a while back,
that did not recommend the use of any tailpipes
other than factory for this very reason.  I quote
in part: "The special shape and downward sweep of the tailpipe is the
result of aerodynamic studies and should not be altered."

cheers,
Livio Passera
Toronto, Canada
77 Spider