easy way to change shift boot 91 spider?

Hi - I went over to Ferrari of Seattle to pick up a nice new leather shift
boot to replace my aging and slightly torn original vinyl one.  After
drooling a bit too much on the Modenas in the showroom, I went home and got
the diagrams on the CarDisc and started taking things apart.  Looked simple
enough at first, but after removing switch panels, center console, radio,
vent coverings, ac /clock panel, I then had to remove the knee bolsters.  At
that point half the dash was hanging out and I figured this is probably not
worth it and just patched up the old boot from underneath, put everything
back together and called it good.

Before I totally give up and return the boot, does anyone have any better
ideas to go about this?
Bootless in Seattle

Pete Mui
(NWARC newbie - may see you at the Historics this weekend)