164 A/.C Stepper motors and shut off valves

Just had the 164's A/.C recharged but it still is sub par owing to a failing stepper motor and (I think) the poorly designed layout of the evaporator  et. al too near the firewall.  Anyway, the door that directs the air straight from the console doesn't open/close all the way so I get partial flow and and I sure some warm air that the \a/\c has to tool over and over.

Sealed up my engine bay from the area next to the windshield.  That helps (noticed change when A/\c was not charged - air was a little less hot).

Does anyone know how I can take the hot air out of the equation?  Someone mentioned installing a cut out valve in the engine bay to cutoff the hot water recir to the heater - does this work?

Any other tips?

Thanks,

Don
(I am not up to doing the stepper motors at this point in my life)