Fan let go

Gabriel,
Your Spider definitely needs motor mounts.  At the Kansas City national
convention a few years ago Russ Neely was doing the tech inspection for the
autocross and he took one look at my tired old Spider engine and said that I
needed to replace the motor mounts.  The car was (still is) high mileage and I
was a real "Newbie" to Alfa's.
On my last run at the autocross the next day the car suddenly died crossing
the finish line (thoughts of how to get the car back to Nashville clouded my
mind).  Looked under the hood and the two air hoses that cross the engine had
pulled apart.  Still didn't put it together with the motor mounts.
Two weeks later, back in Nashville, a rather vigorous shift from first to
second produced the same explosion that you had.  Still have the dent in the
hood (a bra can cover it up).
The problem has nothing to do with the fan material being brittle.  The motor
mount versus fan blade issue comes up on the digest all the time.
Good Luck changing them.

Kevin Smith,
Nashville, TN
86 Spider