Impact wrench advice

For less than $200 you are stuck with 1/2" or less impact wrenches. Unfortunately, you won't get significantly more grunt from one of these than you can get from a 1/2" ratchet (possibly with cheater pipe.) In my experience I can muscle things loose with a 1/2" ratchet that my 1/2" impact wrench won't budge. The hammering action of an impact wrench can help a little but it's no magic bullet.

For significant torque you need to go up to a 3/4" or 1" impact wrench. Unfortunately these aren't cheap (generally $300+) and you need a lot of air. This means big hoses from the compressor to the wrench, along with a big compressor, probably 2-stage 5 real-hp or better (not to be confused with Sears-hp). Again not cheap. Oh yeah, the sockets aren't cheap either.

So unless you are planning to invest, try a different angle:

heat, penetrating oil (I like PB-Blaster), and a 3' section of thick wall black pipe to slip over the end of a 1/2" breaker bar.

You'll either get it loose, shear it off, or realize it's not coming loose.

--Mark
--been there, done that