Re: Giubo bolts

On Tue, 2 Jul 2002, John Hertzman wrote:
> Fifteen of the Alfetta Giubo bolts follow the form of wheel studs: splined
> bolts with circular heads at the flanges, washers and elastic stopnuts on the
> open sectors of the Giubos, but three unsplined hex-head bolts attach the rear
> Giubo to the transmission input flange, nuts to the rear of the flange.
>
> Haven't crawled under the Milano to check, but I assume that it and the GTV-6
> follow the Alfetta layout. (Don't have a parts book for either, or a fiche
> reader, nor useful shop manuals for the driveshaft of either.)

Having spent far too much time under a GTV6 recently, I can attest that
the rear-most (at the clutch) guibo has the alternating pattern, with
normal, unsplined bolts and nylon "aircraft" nuts all round.  The bolts
holding the guibo to the shaft are "nuts to the rear", while the bolts
holding the guibo to the clutch yoke are "nuts to the front".  Of course,
this is an 18 year old car, which has almost certainly had the guibos
changed at least once, so the arrangment on my car isn't necessarily
"factory".  The guibo at the engine end of the propshaft also has the
alternating pattern, though I don't remember the exact arrangement.
I've never removed the heat shield above the center muffler, so I haven't
gotten a good look at the center guibo.

While on the subject, I can also state that, as long as you keep one set
of bolts secured, you can separate the guibo from the shaft or yoke,
leaving the guibo attached to the shaft or yoke and re-assemble, without
having to use a strap or hose clamp on the guibo to compress it.

james montebello
'86 gtv6