Re: Fan Let Go..Ouch!!

Same thing happened to me in my 76 spider a few years ago. Moments after I thought to myself "wow, she's running strong today..." Dent in hood, and a punctured radiator spelled the end of that day. The upside was the two cute girls who gave me a ride home.

It's partly aging/brittle plastic, but I believe the root cause is sagging motor mounts. I know mine were all mushy. They allow the motor to flex enough for the fan to come in contact with the shroud or engine bay.

--Mark

Forza wrote:

Sunday I was driving around in my Rosa 86 Spider, top down, in the south Florida sun when I heard something that sounded like a backfire...A second later I noticed my dash lit-up like a Christmas tree... I figure..No biggie..I broke a fan belt...Pulled over, popped the hood and immediately noticed a half dollar dent on my hood just above the pulleys...Opened the hood to find the fan had only one blade left and the belt was gone...

Do these fans let usually go like that or did I bring something up that broke it..or did the belt break and tear up the fan?? Any thoughts???

All things work for good, I guess... I've been putting off installing electric fan...So now it's going on (a 12" Hayden) and since I'll be in the general area the water pump will be replaced just as a preventative measure..

Just another day of Alfa ownership.. I love my Baby anyway... Or is it because???

Gabriel Forzano
AROC South Florida
86 Spider