Re: Alfa romeo dot com

On Fri, 28 Jun 2002 10:35:39 -0500 "Trimble, Mike" <MTrimble@domain.elided> wrote:

> This site has nothing to do with Alfa Romeo, Fiat or General Motors, it
> is
> the web site for the outfit that plans to rebadge and sell current Alfa
> models in the U.S. under the Autodelta brand. The web stite is
> headquartered
> in North Texas, and as far as I can tell has not been updated from its
> rather rudimentary state in several months. Again as far as I know, no
> progress had been made on this project, but I may be wrong.

yes, and while i wish anyone who wants to get current model alfas into the
country the best of luck, a scheme like this is fraught with issues. some
are legal (selling cars, and using the name "Alfa Romeo" risks
conversations with Fiat lawyers), some are technical (regulatory emissions
and safety complexities), and some are marketing (last one of these stunts
i remember was rebadging Citroens as CX back in the late 80s, which didn't
go all that far -- but then, i do realize that Citroen was in a far more
difficult marketing position than even Alfa in the US.)

richard