Re: alfa-digest V8 #872

In a message dated 6/26/2002 9:06:21 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Does anyone have any recommendations as to a product that can darken the
> leather?  (I have extra leather, so I can experiment on it before
> potentially ruining my seats :-)    Also, moving forward, does anyone
> recommend any leather conditioner?

Don't know about a darkening agent, but I would guess you could experience
two effects over time: the leather will integrate oil and dirt and stuff and
it will darken (absorb dirt that is more than superficial), and the polar: if
you use the car much it will probably fade over time.

As far as maintaining it is concerned, I have had very good luck with a
product call The Tannery, which comes in both a cream an aerosol form.  This
was originally suggested by a salesman (so sue me) I bought some leather
furniture from 20 years ago.  The furniture leather has help up great with
biannual applications of this cleaner/conditioner.

For something like a spider, I would probably also clean it thoroughly
annually with saddle soap, then condition.  There are all sorts of products
to do this, some of them expensive, but the Tannery stuff will go a long way
to keeping them nice, won't change the color, and even refreshes the leather
smell!

Charlie
LA, CA, USA

WARNING: Do not leave a spider any convertible) with leather seats parked in
the sun and then sit in it weaning shorts unless you want 3rd degree burns!
-- One Who Knows