Re: oil filters

At 02:24 PM 6/25/02 -0400, you wrote:

Michael wrote:
>In addition to overtightening the filter (tight means no leaks right? or
>are they afraid the thing will vibrate loose!)
Tony Sims replied
It happens.  It's good idea for a car used for track days (or certainly on a
race car that has a spin-on filter) to fabricate a (technical term coming)
"filter anti-vibrate loose thingy".  Big hose clamp and a strong spring
works.  Pumping 7 quarts of hot oil onto the track right in front of your
rear tires will not make your day better, nor will it make you the object of
affection of your club mates...

Well said! It happened to me the first time I was on a track with a 2000 GTV; previously I had only raced a 1750. I had changed the oil and put a new filter on in preparation and had taken the instructions too seriously to "tighten to touch then slightly more till firm" or words to that effect. I was enjoying myself immensely till the car filled with smoke and a huge cloud of smoke blanked out part of the track behind me. I cheked - oil pressure ok, no knocks etc so couldn't be a rod. Yup; the filter had spun loose and the hot oil had sprayed all over the even hotter exhaust. Got towed in by a Pontiac Firebird - great tow vehicle ...?? Now I don't use a clamp (which is about the best insurance) but instead I tighten that filter real tight, as tight I can get it with bare hands, then recheck periodically. Makes it hard to get off but its better than the sort of drama I had.

Les (still remembered by classic racers as "The Oil Filter Guy"... :(