Re: brake/hydraulic lines--plus bit on refrigerants

To adapt the cheap non-leaking late model Jag master cylinder to my 1971
Jag saloon (UKspeak for berlina) I had to make a line that was metric at
one end and English at the other.  Luckily, 3/16 inch diameter is both a
metric and an SAE standard size (bigger lines diverge in size--no metric
equivalent for 1/4 inch, for example).  Moreover, the first step in
double-flaring (using the standard SAE double flaring tool) produces a
suitable ISO/bubble flare.  So you don't need metric flaring tools for
3/16.  I read all this at a website (which I can't find now), and it worked
for me, but I may have just been lucky.  Regarding the propane/isobutane
refrigerants, they are legal as a substitute for R134A but not R12!  You
must toss in a can or R134A (thereby converting from 12 to 134A), pump it
back out, then convert to propane/isobutane.

Bob Wilkinson
Saint Louis
72 Spider

Eastwood sells flaring tools for both single/double and ISO - I've never had