Last weekend in PDX& the 2nd icon sound

Last weekend in Seattle and Palo Alto sounds fabulous, but I should share the more modest happenings in Portland: Jeff Zurschmeide's pig roast. It's really about cars. Jeff's the man who lured Scott Fisher up here and swapped his 356 for Scott's GT Junior. It was quite a party, with plenty of kids and the appropriate level of noise, but when Joe and Donna Kollmann and I arrived in our Alfas, Scott was out the driveway to meet us. He observed that the sound of your own kids, and the sound of an Alfa, go to some Special Place in one's awareness. We all know that, don't we?

One of the highlights of the afternoon was using mint leaves and Rebel Yell bourbon Scott had brought, making mint juleps for sippin' under the shade tree. Mighty fine.

Sunday, Joe, Scott, and new Alfista David Nelson all pitched in while I changed the rear axle housing/differential on my Spider. Norm Riffle sold it to me, and had also offered his place and tools, but Joe's place is much closer, and working on one or more of our Alfas over there on Sunday afternoons is becoming a sweet tradition. Having the plug come out of the brake line and bounce into ones mouth tells us Motul REALLY TASTES BAD FOR A LONG TIME. But at last, the nyeow-nyeow-nyeow sound from the rear end is gone!

The sound on that second icon seems almost exactly the same as the one a Ferrari friend sent me a couple of years ago; it was a 355, as Zamani has surmised. The sound in Randy Johnson's 3 liter 4 cam Alfetta is similar, though.

And in my capacity as Br'er Joe, if I had a new Sport Sedan and a spare V6, I'd be looking at a sleeper to watch out for!

One bad note from the weekend, a deer jumped out in front of Doug Klein and his daughter in the spectacularly beautiful Lightweight Sprint Sunday evening. No one hurt and the car is fixable, but its'a face, it's not so pretty right now. Bill Gillham will make it right.

Joe
'72 PIR slut