Re: Boiling Guilia Super

Timothy:
Scott brings up some good issues but don't panic about the down on power
stuff:

Scott Fisher wrote:

> --- Timothy Leigh Rodgers <timothy@domain.elided>
> wrote:
> > Driving from Santa Barbara up San Marcos Pass-
> . . . good stuff deleted. . .
> So, Timothy, somewhere in your drive up San Marcos
> Pass, your engine started using coolant, which made
> the residual coolant hotter, which used coolant
> faster, which made the residual coolant hotter, etc.
> The question is, where did it go, and why didn't the
> system equalize pressure (with coolant, if it's got an
> overflow tank, and with air, if it's a total-loss
> system) after it cooled off?
>
> That's part of what suggests my worst-case scenario:
> that instead of going out the overflow tube, your
> coolant is going into one of your cylinders via a
> head-gasket leak.  It's just one possibility, but it's
> one to investigate and, with luck, eliminate.  (A
> head-gasket leak would also explain the loss of power
> as you were climbing the grade.)

Timothy don't panic, altitude also robs an engine of power unless carbs
are re-jeted. How high was the altitude?  9-10K feet and more makes a
notable difference, it's less of a problem in SPICA or other fuel
injected cars which have altitude compensation.

 I'd start with a
> compression test on a hot engine (in case the leak
> only shows up when something expands), and in
> particular look for one cylinder a lot lower than the
> others.  I'd also look for rust on the spark plug
> threads in one cylinder when I took them out prior to
> the compression test.  If your pressure readings are
> something like 150-150-150-85 and the spark plug from
> the 85-psi cylinder is rusty, I'd start shopping for
> head gasket kits.
. . . more good stuff deleted . . .

Again, best Wishes,
Bernie Bennett