Crankshaft Oilway Plugs

Esteemed Digesti,
In the book "How to power-tune Alfa romeo 2 liter engines" it says the
machine shop will likely refuse the job of tapping the crank to receive
oilway plugs. I just found out how sage this prediction is. Has anyone on the
Digest undertaken this job? What size tap did you use? The old aluminim plugs
have been neatly drilled-out and I'm ready to proceed but for this one
obstacle. Also, the task of balancing engine components individually and in
assemby is not a feat undertaken by the local fabricator. I am naive to much
of what is involved in this engine building process, but it seems the
resources necessary for the work are hard to come by here in my neck of the
woods.

Modelle in Somers Point, South Jersey USA