Re: ridiculous. And easily unconstitutional

on 6/21/02 11:37 AM, alfa-digest at owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided wrote:

> Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 13:42:15 -0400
> From: Ron Horowitz <RonHorowitz@domain.elided>
> Subject: ridiculous.  And easily unconstitutional
>
> Message text written by INTERNET:alfa@domain.elided
>> That's ridiculous.  And easily unconstitutional, I<
>
> Not to start a long winded tirade about our government, but you mean
> unconstitutional like suspension of the writ of habeas corpus? Here are a
> few provocative questions. If you are "arrested" in the state of California
> for a traffic offense, do you imagine you are presumed innocent until
> proven guilty? Do you believe you are entitled to a trial by a jury of your
> peers? Do you believe you will be tried in a court of law with a fair and
> impartial judge presiding? Do you think you'll have the right of appeal?
> Look it up. You may be surprised what you find.

Unfortunately, the US Constitution has become something to which our
"leaders" merely give lip service. When its in the way, they brush it aside.
How can they do that? Because they know that in these days, getting a
constitutionality verdict requires the Federal Court System, and to climb
that ladder requires deeper pockets than most people have. In other words,
there is nothing protecting our Constitutional rights except the 'good
intentions' of judges and politicians and we all know what they're worth.

An example in point. If the Supreme Court were to rule that the Second
Amendment (the right to bear arms) is an individual right. And since the
Constitution says that this right "shall not be abridged," this ruling
would, essentially, knock down almost all anti-gun laws in the land. But
will the states and municipalities announce the next day that they were
scrapping all their gun laws as unconstitutional? Heck no. And in fact, you
would be still prosecuted if you broke any of them. It will be up to YOU to
challenge these laws on Constitutional grounds. Since most people cannot
afford to do this, the laws would stand until they are knocked-down one by
one irrespective of the fact that they would be unconstitutional. The
Constitution really has no teeth unless the powers that be WANT it to have
teeth because its in THEIR best interest.

Alfa Content: Lets get together and challenge the DOT car importation laws
in court, and get the laws declared unconstitutional so that we can go to
Europe, buy new Alfas, and bring 'em back to the USA!

George Graves