driving impression

In a message dated 6/18/2002 11:07:20 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Modelle writes "Yesterday I had the opportunity to drive a 74 GTV, recently
> restored. The car's steering was much easier than my spider's and I was
> wondering if anyone on the list had experience with what could cause
> resistance in the steering mechanicals. The spider has been lowered, W & D
> springs, HD sway bars, konis with 195-70 tires, properly pressured.  I
> suspect
> the tie-rods are on their way south, but tie-rod binding doesn't seem to
> make
> much sense. The steering box has been oiled; all other aspects of the
> suspension are stock. - - Is the steering ratio different for the spiders
> and
> the GTV's? My girlfriend says the spider drives like a truck."

I had the 71 Spider 14 years.  My piccola BW always said it drives like a
truck.  She says the same about the GTV6 which I have had now for about 13
years.  I think they are perfect, and I am no gorilla.

It should be mentioned the ZF power steering fitted on the 91 Spider and on
the (former) 75 also gives a very nice feel, not like a squishy, disconnected
American style PS, and it is easy to use for the size-challenged.

So, you could say, they all do (say) that.

Charlie
LA, CA, USA