re: Oil level in a 2 Liter

Andrew wrote:
>This may be a silly question, but is has been bugging me so I
>thought I would see what you guys have to Say.
>I have a 73 Spider, and I noticed that when doing an oil change
>the dipstick reads full after adding about 6.5
>Quarts of oil. I have read that the sump capacity is 7.1 quarts.
>My question is, should I fill it with 7.1 quarts
>And consider that full or does the 7.1 figure include the oil on
>the filter, and i should just go buy the dipstick.

I've encountered the opposite situation on my 74 GTV.  I put about 7.33 quarts
after the rebuild.  I checked it a couple times, and it was only about 1/3
between "min" and "max" on the dipstick.  I checked the dipstick tube, and it
seems fully seated against the fitting on the pan.  I added a bit more, now
there's about 7.66 quarts in there and I'm still only up to half-way between
min/max.  I'm calling it good, it's safely in the operating range and I don't
want to overfill, but it does seem odd that there could be this much
variance.

Cheers,
Tony
Portland, OR