tea trays and history

In a message dated 6/17/2002 10:26:45 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> I suspect that this "feature" got there (or remained there)
> for a variety of reasons, among them that somebody probably launched the
> plenum on a prototype -- the fiberglass panel is an ideal foil.
> Initially, who knows?  Perhaps an early rendition devolved from a
> familiarity with the carbureted V6 -- a relief for an air-filter housing?
> Or perhaps the entire hump was first fabricated of fiberglass on an
> Alfetta hood, and this tray what remains -- for reasons in part
> obscure....(just when, in the development process, did Alfa finally freeze
> the fuel supply choice?)
>
> r.m.bies

Probably someone back around 1980 spent an hour deciding to use the tea tray
concept... and it has been providing hours of fun and wonderment for us ever
since!  What an idea!

Maybe someone originally had these things made up for another purpose, the
deal fell through, and hoodwinked Alfa into using them on the GTV6 as a way
to dump the inventory?

Anything's possible!

Charlie
LA, CA, USA