Turn signal relay problem

Got a strange one here. This evening I found my car sitting in the
garage, key off, with the turn signal relay clicking as though one of
the signals was on. The stalk switch is in the off position, no signal
lights are flashing. If I turn on one of the signals it works fine.
Turn it back off though and the relay just keeps clicking. The only
way I could find to stop the relay was to disconnect the battery.

The only recent work I have done on the car was the replacement of the
steering gear which of course meant I removed the steering wheel. I
didn't remove the headlight/signal switch assembly but it was
jostled a bit. I did also replace the turn signal return spring.
Anyone have any insight to this problem or ideas on what to check
first?

Thanks,

Ed
Loveland, CO.