RE: fame

Looking back through old Sports Car Graphic and Road & Track issues, it seems
that the Alfa ads were always a bit defensive, as if the company's position
was:  We don't understand you (US market). Why don't you get it?...

I'm thinking of one series of ads which were trying to show the owner how to
defend themselves from the ignorant masses...
Reproduced here:  http://gtv2000.georgecomm.com/alfa_ad.html

George
www.gtv2000.com
'74 GTV (newly sprung...)

RE:
Alas, this has been Alfa's story in the USA.  Either they didn't believe that
you have to toot your own horn here, and very often, and very LOUDLY... or
they just could never afford to play with the big boys who could.  Maybe it
was a little of each, and maybe it was something else altogether.