GTV VIN -- last post I PROMISE!

John wrote:

...those customers who were willing to buy a GT Veloce in 1975 were
quite willing to accept 1974 performance in a "1974 model year" car >made in 1975. If that seems odd, go read some old road tests. All else >equal, would you rather have 150 hp with better fuel economy, or 111 >hp with poorer fuel economy?
I actually pondered this when thinking about how "pure" this 1974 car is compared to others of similar vintage. The GTV has few "emissions controls" -- a vapor canister in the trunk, the oil vapor separator system, and of course the Spica injection -- and none that reduce the performance of the car in stock or close to stock condition (OK Weber fans, stop grinding your teeth and go for a drive in a well tuned Spica car -- I don't think we're giving up anything). It has no cat converter, no air pump, and light stainless bumpers.

I once owned a 1974 Ford Capri with the 2.8 V6. I liked the car, but it had huge safety bumpers, a crap carb, and far less power in relation to its displacement. They're pretty similar cars on paper -- front engine, rear drive, solid axle, manual trans (4 speed in the Ford), 2 door coupe. It would be fun to drive one now as a comparison to my GTV. From the perspective I have now, I can't imagine how anything but price would have persuaded someone to choose the Capri over the GTV, but I don't know what Alfa's reputation was in the USA in 1974. I wish I'd been more aware of Alfa in 1979 (I was all of 19) when I bought that Capri!